Friday 8 February 2013

Heist Society


Author: Ally Carter
Publishing Company: Orchard
Blurb: When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her on a trip to the Louvre…to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria…to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own—scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. But now her dad's life is on the line, and Kat must go back to the world she tried so hard to escape...

My Review: I read I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You last year and thought it was pretty good. So I went into this book with similar hopes, I wasn't expecting anything perfect, but I was hoping for a quick fun read. I have to say I wasn't disappointed.

Ally Carter has these quirky fun characters who can fit into her worlds so perfectly, and are contemporary but at the same time something that the normal people like me wouldn't expect. I would never ever think about what it's like to be a master thief at the age of fifteen/sixteen. It's so easy to get caught up in this world of crime and heists and seeing all of the terms used for what they do. If I didn't know any better I think that Ally Carter is both a spy and a thief and is hiding out somewhere and pretending she's just an innocent author.

I love how easily you can love the characters, how easy the plot is to get into, and yet how you can still see the complexity of the whole thing. So Kat is a thief, but doesn't want to be, but has to be to save her dad. That in itself is kinda crazy, throw in an art collecting villain who's basically made his mind up as to who stole his paintings and you have this insane plot that's intricate, yet you can actually follow along pretty easily.

The characters are really interesting too. Most of them you instantly fall for, Kat and Hale being the two main ones. Some you kinda grow to love, like Gabrielle. They were simple yet had enough complexity to keep them interesting.

My rating on goodreads for this book was only a 3/5. I did this because though I enjoyed the book, I can't remember half the characters' names, and it was a book that I can say I've read but it didn't blow me away with how amazing it was. If you're looking for a light fun read with humour and action, this is your book, for me there was something missing to give it a top rating though.

My rating:

Setting: 4 out of 5
Characters: 4 out of 5
Plot: 3 out of 5
Writing: 3 out of 5

If you read the book, I hope you enjoy it, and I’ll talk to you guys later! Bye x

No comments:

Post a Comment