Thursday 8 March 2012

Spy Glass

NOTE THIS IS THE THIRD AND FINAL BOOK IN A COMPANION SERIES. IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE OTHER TWO GLASS BOOKS, OR THE STUDY SERIES, I SUGGEST YOU DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW, SPOILERS HAVE BEEN KEPT FROM THE REVIEW, BUT THERE ARE A LOT IN THE BLURB ALONE THAT COULD SPOIL THE REST OF THE SERIES!




Author: Maria V. Snyder

Publishing Company: Mira Books

Blurb: An undercover mission leads to danger, adventure and an impossible choice…

After siphoning her own blood magic in the showdown at Hubal, student glass magician Opal Cowan has lost her powers. Immune to the effects of magic, Opal is now an outsider looking in, spying through the glass on those with the powers she once had. Powers that make a difference in the world.

Suddenly the beautiful pieces she makes begin to flash in the presence of magic and Opal learns that someone has stolen some of her blood. Finding it might let her regain her powers or discover that they’re lost forever…

The review:

So diving into this book I was so apprehensive and so worried that it would be awful and one of those books where it wasn’t needed to finish the series, I expected to be disappointed. I was extremely wrong. From the get go you could tell that it was going to be something so extremely different to Maria V. Snyder’s other books that it was interesting and unique. I think it was more that some of my favourite characters were in this a lot more as well, it was just something that you can get excited about. I mean, Valek was in it so much, wow, I was very happy with that.

Again I want to stress that this book is different. In the Study series and the rest of the Glass series we have a protagonist who has magic. In this book, we see the protagonist without magic and how she deals with it. So from the start you know that we have such a different view point and it’s interesting to see this standing and also how much the characters have developed, for better or for worse.

The plot was so richly dense you genuinely don’t know what to do about it. You have so much going on that you can’t help but get swept up and spouting out ideas of what could happen or where the plot could go. And what’s wonderful in this book is just as you think you’ve got it figured out, you’re swept in an entirely other direction. And I think to see Opal’s character growing, but growing in a different way, is amazing. You see her completely change and you see how she’s grown as a person, as a fighter, as everything really.

I understand I’m gushing, but I don’t actually know what to say about this. I think that it has to be said that I probably enjoyed this book more because I was so disappointed with the previous one, but that doesn’t bother me. This was such an amazing way to end a series. And the way that the plot went, the differences in the book, the way the characters went, the plot twists, the scary moments, the sad moments, the hilarious moments (I was laughing for the first couple hundred pages at some of the writing because it was so witty).

I think that this book is definitely worth it, though the second book wasn’t great, this definitely compensates for it.

My rating:

Setting: 5 out of 5
Characters: 4 out of 5
Plot: 4.5 out of 5
Writing: 4 out of 5

If you read the book, I hope you enjoy it, and I’ll talk to you guys later! Bye x

No comments:

Post a Comment