Thursday 15 September 2011

Hereafter


Author: Tara Hudson
Publishing Company: Harper Collins
Blurb:
I was floating in the river again…

The dark, twisting scene looked almost the same as it did in each of my horrible dreams.

Almost.

Beacause this time I wasn’t the one drowning. He was.

The only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she’s dead, trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. But everything changes when she finds Joshua drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.

But as Amelia and Joshua struggle to keep their secret bond hidden from the living, a frightening spirit is doing everything in his power to drag Amelia back into the ghost world…forever.

The review:

Again this was a book I picked up for the stunning cover. I’d read the blurb and was rather hesitant to read, because I didn’t know how it’d work out. I didn’t understand how they’d get together if she willed him to live. So to say the least, I was worried to see how they worked out, and to see what they did. I definitely shouldn’t have been worried.

From the off you could tell it would be different from the other things you’ve read. You have this character who you can’t say is the strongest woman character I’ve ever read, but you see her become something great. And we get into the action from page one. We see a rather violent death and we see this strange but amazing story of these two characters who seem to fit together straight away without understanding why.

You learn early on that Amelia doesn’t know much about her life and what happened with her death. It was very interesting to read this because we got to get these snippets of her life just as she was. It was different to what I’m used to reading, because instead of reading bits of her life that she wanted to give us, she was discovering herself just as we were, which was just fascinating to read.

All of the characters had their own interesting point about them. Whether it was how they reacted to situations, how they presented themselves, how they spoke to people. I found a lot of the characters just extremely interesting. You want to know more about them and you want to be interested by them. I found these characters amazing to read about because they had so much about them that separated them from each other but pushed them together at the same time. I don’t want to tell you much about them because the book is better when you find out for yourself when reading it, so I’m going to mainly talk about the setting and keep this review shorter than my usual ones.

The main setting I want to talk about in this book is High Bridge and High Bridge Road. This is a massive thing in this book, because you find out that it’s linked to everything in one way shape or form. It’s mostly interesting because you find out all the stories about it and even before you hear all the stories, I felt like there was something rather unsettling about the place, so altogether it was this amazing setting to read about.

Overall I genuinely loved this book, I loved the characters and the story and the way it was written. Everything about the book was well done and it kept you wanting to read. I definitely suggest this book to anyone, and I apologise for the extremely short review.

My rating:
Setting: 4 out of 5
Characters: 4.5 out of 5
Plot: 4.5 out of 5
Writing: 5 out of 5

If you read the book, I hope you enjoy it, and I’ll talk to you guys later! Bye x

No comments:

Post a Comment