Friday 23 September 2011

2011 January/June Sum Up


So lately I’ve been slow in reading, so I decided to take a different approach for a post. This is the sum up of what I thought of some of my favourite/least favourite books in the first half of 2011. I won’t elaborate much on the worst, because I don’t want to seem horrible, but I will tell you what I think and why I didn’t like them.

Favourite Reread
My favourite reread of the first part of this year would be Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan which I have always loved. It’s a very interesting read, and it’s always nice to read the mythology in it.

Favourite Series Read
Definitely The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. The world has so much detail, and it’s just a fantastic read, you grow to love the characters, and even the secondary characters are so deep and amazing.

Favourite Contemporary
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I thought this was one of the cutest novels ever. So adorable and cute, and just a fun simple read.

Favourite Adult Novel
I always go on about this book, so I apologise to those who hear me rant and rave about it, but I absolutely adored Feed by Mira Grant. A zombie book worth picking up.

Surprisingly Good Book
That would be Virals by Kathy Reichs. The reason I chose this book is because I haven’t been able to pick up and read her adult series, so I was very surprised and extremely happy to read her YA series to find out that it was so good.

Most Disappointing Recommendation
Pendragon: The Merchant of Death by D.J. MacHale. A friend assured me this was a good book, but I didn’t find it as interesting as I he made it out to be. Definitely was disappointed with this one.

Most Disappointing Adult Book
That would be Black Wings by Christina Henry. This book was so much worse than it looked. I felt very let down when I read it because it looked like such a good book.

Most Disappointing Contemporary
Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard. My own fault because I’m not into gossipy books, but I’d heard good things so tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. Not the book for me.

Most Disappointing Ranted and Raved About Book
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. I thought the book was too much like Alice in Wonderland and Labyrinth, and when I read a book, I want a book to see the authors voice, not two stories put together that I’ve already seen.

Least Favourite Book Read
Bluebell Cottage by Heather M.J.L. Watson. The book I didn’t think was for the right age, I also felt it played off another book too much, and I just felt like it was another carbon copy of the usual books we see.

I will be writing up some reviews and sum ups of my favourite series, as well as doing some quick reviews of some classics as I’m going back to University on Monday, so please leave recommendations or requests in a comment, tell me what you’ve read in the first six months of the year and I’ll talk to you guys later. Bye 

No comments:

Post a Comment