Monday 2 January 2012

Kindle vs Real Books

Okay, so a couple months ago I was definitely pro books down with kindles/e-readers etc. I mean, there's so many things you can have with a book that you can't with an e-reader, the smell, the little scratches & cracks in the spine, everything about it is a way of enjoying and reading a book that's an experience.

However, for Christmas I couldn't think of anything I wanted, so I got myself a Kindle. And I've read a few books on it (reviews to come, I'm gonna get into the swing of reviews after my homework craziness is done) and I can't say that I find it as bad as I did.

Okay, so we don't have the book smell. The book smell isn't in it, but there's something amazing about having over 100 books in my bag that I wouldn't be able to have if I had them in book form. There's something amazing with being able to instantly share with the world via twitter or facebook that you've finished a book. There's something that is new and different about reading from a Kindle that I enjoy, but I don't know what it is.

And this is not saying that I'm all 'go Kindle down with books' because I'm not. I don't think I'll ever be. I've promised that any books I own that are in a series I'm going to buy the rest of the books in book form. Same goes with my favourite authors, same goes with books I just want to pick up. I don't think I'd ever be able to replace a physical paper book, but I think it'll be easier to get to books I wouldn't usually buy through a Kindle. Like right now I'm reading the Sherlock Holmes books which I wouldn't have if I couldn't have them on my Kindle, because I wouldn't carry around a massive book filled with the complete works, and I don't think I'd be willing to buy each one separately.

I know this is a bit of a weird post, but to be honest, I just wanted to write it to have something on the blog early in the year to say yes I am coming back, I promise, just not sure when the reviews will start. I have exams and stuff to worry about first!

So tell me what you think on the Kindle vs Books things, you pro Kindle? Pro books? All of the above? I'd love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment